The Labor Guessing Game

While I promise this won't turn into a big 'ol pregnancy/parenthood blog, I did have to share a little frustrating story. Maybe other veteran moms can tell me if they've dealt with the expectation that a first time mom should know how to recognize labor.

Here's the backstory:

I'm at 38 1/2 weeks with a scheduled c-section for next Thursday because Baby Turnbull is breech. So my OB would really prefer if I not go into active labor before surgery. I've been having regular Braxton-Hicks contractions for weeks that are uncomfortable, but not too inconvenient. So here's me, first pregnancy, no idea what a contraction is going to be like, but assuming I'll know one if I have one.

An assumption that lasts until the groggy middle-of-the-night cramps start. At 3am your mind is much less clear than it is during the waking hours.

"Was that a contraction?"
"It hurts a lot, but I figured it would hurt more."
"Should I call my OB now or see what happens?"
"Should I start timing them?"
"Let's see what the Internet says."

Though, after a full night (less the 5am-6am nap I got) of regular, time-able, and very uncomfortable lower-abdominal and back cramps, a call to my OB seemed pertinent.

After a detailed explanation of my situation, I got this response: "You should stay home and wait it out, but call if it turns into real labor." Now, don't get me wrong; I was thrilled not to have to traipse into the hospital just to be sent home after an hour of monitoring, but what does "real labor" mean? What's happening to me now?

Since I asked what I should look out for and got nothing good in response, does that mean these aren't contractions at all? Or that they are just too far apart? My biggest fear is being "that mom" who shows up at the hospital with heartburn and thinks she's having a baby, but I'm a naturally anxious person.

So tell me moms, did you deal with false labor? Or cryptic OBs? And how many times (be honest) did you sit up at night trying to use Google to make a decision?

Comments

  1. By the way, it turns out those WERE contractions. Apparently there's at least one lucky duck in my family (my aunt) whose contractions don't really hurt. So I had them for a day and a half before going to the hospital where we found out I was dilated 3cm. Good thing to remember for baby #2, since they usually come faster.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment