Reading Right Now

A while back I posted about my goals for my year off. As part of those goals, I aspired to read one nonfiction book per month. Well, I started one. And then another. And then a third. And then my brother-in-law introduced me to George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" and 3600 pages later I remembered I was supposed to be reading NONfiction.

But the books I'm trying to consume really are interesting. What's on my virtual shelf right now?

I'm almost finished with this one. It chronicles Mark Schatzer's journey to find the perfect steak. As an avid meat-eater I've found it fascinating. It covers the raising, fattening, grading and cooking of beef in several countries.

This is one Brian has already finished, so I've been told the best part is still coming up. But my impressions so far? Great for learning about all things steak. Kind of makes me want to raise a cow. However, it's hard to trudge through some parts, as I find Mark to be way too picky.

Give me steak, any steak. Medium rare. I'm happy.



I'm only a chapter into "NutureShock" and already in love. This is not a book for parents, unless they are highly logical parents, or huge statistics/science nerds. It covers the misconceptions of child-rearing as it applies to recent changes in thinking.

Particularly interesting so far are the studies regarding telling your children how smart they are (and how you shouldn't do it), and parents reactions to these studies.

I'm loving it & Brian's loving my summaries. Here's hoping I can still see the truth of it through my new mommy goggles.



This has been on my wish list for a while, and thanks to a "mommy" gift from a friend of mine, I was able to pick it up at B&N.

As the name implies, it's a book about de-cluttering your life. Written by a motivator, it sets up the goal of throwing out fifty things in your home and life. Then uses that as a stepping stone to keeping things clutter-free.

What's interesting is the idea that not just the things you don't use need to be trashed; but also those things that have negative feelings attached. Example? Clothes I'll never fit into again. Craft projects I never finished, etc.

Comments